Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Paleo Sweet Potato & Sausage Casserole

I always get tired of taking food pics after awhile, but I'm having fun for now.  :)  Oh and by the way, I got on the scale this morning and it said 239.0.  Maybe there's hope after all.


I had Biz's breakfast sammies again this morning.

Then I got busy making the casserole originally found on Helen's blog at Doing a 180, but I found it again on Biz's blog at Biggest Diabetic Loser.


I can't ever seem to follow a recipe exactly and this was no exception.  Biz used 1/2 lb. of sausage, and Helen used 1 lb. if I remember correctly.  I took the easy way out and used a 9.6 oz. bag of Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles.  You're supposed to cook the sweet potatoes (I used 1 large one) in the microwave for 4 mins.  I cooked mine 5 mins. because the next step is to sautee the sweet potatoes for a few mins in a skillet and I didn't have time for that.  I chopped up a bunch of spinach (I never measure veggies) and threw it all in a bowl.


I sprayed my baking dish with Pam, poured it in, and then added my eggs.  I used 5 whole eggs and 4 egg whites.  It didn't cover the mixture, so I probably needed more, but that's all the eggs I had.  I put 1/2 c. of 2% Mexican blend cheese on top, and then added some thin sliced sweet pepper rings because Biz did and it looked good.


I baked it at 375 for 25 mins and the eggs weren't quite set, so put it back in the oven for another 10 mins....so 35 mins. cooking time for mine.


I cut it into 6 squares.  How does it taste?  I have absolutely no idea.  I had already eaten breakfast and it was time to get to work, so I'll be having it for breakfast tomorrow.  :)

Lunch was leftovers from last night.  Grilled chicken and Crunchy Veggie Pasta Salad.

I packed this veggie bowl for snacks.  I threw in a Laughin Cow chipotle something or other cheese thingy to put on the celery.  I don't do plain celery.


When it was time to break out the veggies at work, I put it all on a plate and added some grape tomatoes and 8 raw almonds...snacks that I already had at work.  It took me about an hour and a half to graze on all of this goodness.


When the craving for something salty hit, I broke out the evil carbs....crackers.  I fell in love with these about 3 years ago.  They are the crispiest, crunchiest cracker I've found.  They are 10 cals each and worth every one.  I had 7 of them.


I made chicken fajitas for dinner.  I took a pic of the tortillas I normally use, which are 40 cals. each.  But since I already had carbs with the breakfast sammies and crackers, I decided to put mine on green leaf lettuce.  I added some sauteed red onion and red bell pepper (cooked in Pam) and some sour cream on top.  These were fantastic!


I made Dwayne's fajitas with these.


HOLY YUM!

I baked a turkey breast tonight after dinner so I'd have it ready when we got home from work tomorrow.  Bad idea.  My house now smells like Thanksgiving.  I ate about 6 oz. of that while taking it off the bone.  Doh!  I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. 

Hope you had a tasty day!  :)










3 comments:

  1. wow love the pics Tammy! Your giving me a lot of idea's...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looks yummy and very colorful :)

    I love seeing what other people eat!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to make everything you just made here! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete